Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo is here!

Alas, my favorite holiday, Halloween, has come and gone. (Who says alas? I guess I do. How lame.) Well, never fear, NaNoWriMo is hear. For those of you that are not aware of what that is, it stands for National Novel Writing Month.

The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel within the month of November. There is a website where you can register (it's free and doesn't take long) to record your progress, make friends (known as writing buddies), and encourage one another. I like it because my friend, Mark, and I enter and motivate each other by checking our writing progress. Seeing if you can out do or even keep up with the word count is a challenge.

If you think you have a novel inside you, let me encourage you to join, get busy writing, and free that book. Believe me, you'll feel great once you accomplish it. Also, if you want, add me as a writing buddy. My username is mxlemore.

An additional word of encouragement: don't worry if you can't make the finish line. Heck, I didn't last year simply because the story I chose to write was able to be told in less than the projected 50k word count. There's nothing wrong with that. The Writing Gestapo isn't going to show up and break your legs. If nothing else, you will have at least started writing a story. That alone should feel good and prod you along to beginning that inner story.

Happy writing and best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment