Saturday, August 4, 2012

Time to make some masks!

It's getting to be that time of year again. There's slightly less than three months until Halloween, my favorite holiday. That means it's time for me to start making some masks. I began sculpting today on one of my ideas, a bust that was supposed to me made entirely from human hands. Can you say difficult?

Well, that idea was quickly abandoned once I realized how difficult it is to sculpt hands. In addition to the actual face, I realized I would have to mold the various hands to place all over it to make it look like they formed the head. I still intend to sculpt this mask, but first, I will need to get some more clay. I'll also need to spend plenty of time on it. Anyone who knows me will tell you that (sometimes) I am not very patient. Well, this is one of those times. I want to see results fast.

I abandoned the hand-head mask for now and ordered another armature so I can do more than one sculpture at once. I removed the couple of hands I had already sculpted and set them aside, then began wracking my brain for another idea. I settled on an impish demon. I can see the image in my head and I am excited about it. It's a big change from the clowns I normally make. Here is a picture I took of the preliminary sculpting session from today (about three hours worth).

I expect another one or two days of sculpting before I'm ready to start the mold-making process and then begin casting. There are some other ideas I had while I was working on this bust, but I think they will require a stiffer material, so I'm considering buying some urethane rubber to make them out of. Keep checking back as I post more pictures of my progress. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment