Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Stop the Insanity!

I debated (briefly) about posting on this topic. I wanted this blog to be used strictly for promoting my books and talking about my interests and hobbies. I never intended to use it to discuss any political issues. My wife said, "You may lose readers if you take a side." That may be the case (and maybe all three or four of those readers may leave me), but sometimes you just gotta take a stand. That's what I'm doing now. If you're a Chick-fil-a supporter, let me forewarn you: you might want to leave now.

So, today was the big support-Chick-fil-a day. I didn't eat there. Instead, I ate at Subway. Regardless of the whole controversy, I probably wouldn't have eaten there anyway as I rarely go to Chick-fil-a. A few people where I work went to Chick-fil-a. Seeing who they were, it was no big surprise. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs. Freedom of speech and freedom of religion are some of our Constitutional Rights. I served in the military and I believe in preserving those rights. I also believe that anyone who chooses to boycott an organization who wants to deny marriage equality and discriminate against a group of people for different beliefs/practices has every right to do so. After all, it's their right.

I am against discrimination of any form. Regardless of one's race, age, gender, or sexual preference, they should be judged by their character and not for the aforementioned traits. Those do not define who someone is. What really gets me heated are all of the people coming out in support of this blatant discrimination. Do people not think for themselves anymore? As a US citizen, military veteran, and former public safety worker, I feel qualified to say that it really disappoints me to see the way our country is being taken over by people unwilling to think for themselves and treat others as people based on some misguided beliefs. If something isn't done soon, we may resort to burning people at the stake again. Things are getting out of control and it's time for the runaway train to stop!

Okay, I need to stop now. *Whew* I'm beginning to get heated. Heated because there's nothing one person can do to stop the stupidity. After all, stupidity has been around since the dawn of time. It'll always be around. But, I felt like I had to at least say something and I did. I may not have changed anything but I feel a little better for getting that off my chest. And, I hope that maybe this little rant will cause some to stop, step back, and examine their actions more carefully. People should be treated fairly, like we want to be treated. I hope you aren't offended if our ideals differ. It just illustrates the diversity that comprises our nation and gives us something to discuss rationally, like civil people should. Regardless of your thoughts, I still want to thank you for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment