Monday, June 25, 2012

I Love to Learn



For those of you who don't know me personally, I am a huge fan of learning and education. After all, I'm married to a college professor. Recently, we subscribed to digital cable and I've discovered some great shows on the Discovery Channel and the Science Channel. My two favorite shows are Through the Wormhole With Morgan Freeman (on the Science Channel) and Head Games (on the Discovery Channel).

In my youth, during high school, I didn't apply myself. In fact, I hated school. I thought education (at least in an academic setting) was pointless. In my naivete, I thought trigonometry and calculus wouldn't help me in any career I could imagine for myself. In addition, I didn't see how any knowledge of Chemistry with its periodic table of elements, or any knowledge of Astronomy would be beneficial in the business world at all. Math and I didn't get along well, either. I'd say math was, single-handly, my worst subject, although, I did ace Geometry...so, go figure.

However, as I've gotten older, I've learned how stupid my mindset was in my youth. Since serving in the Army, I came to realize how important education is. One of the skills I learned in the military was not only how to be self-sufficient, but how to teach myself. Since my discharge, I've taught myself computer programming (and embarked on a career as a software developer)! I read voraciously, both for entertainment as well as to further my knowledge.

Recently, I've purchased books by Neil deGrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, David Eagleman, and Stephen Hawking to name but a few. I also purchased an introductory book on Chemistry and some books on mathematics to help me develop a better relationship with my old nemesis. I want to learn! Education is an equal opportunity friend. It doesn't discriminate based on age. No matter how much you might've hated it in your youth, as I did, education is always there, waiting for you to embrace it. That's what I hope to do now and until the end: embrace education and learn all that I can.

It saddens me to meet someone who embraces ignorance. I hope you're not one of those people, that you also feel a love for education. This might seem very disparate coming from a guy who writes fiction, but not only do I strive to write entertaining stories, I also try to invoke thought in my readers. In my latest novel, The Old Royal, I touch on the aspect of time travel and the various problems one might encounter if we could visit the past.

In my previous post, I apologized for not posting recently and explained that I was attempting to brew some beer during my absence. In fact, I'm doing a lot of different things. I've got several irons in the fire, as they say. With learning math, Spanish, some Chemistry, et al. I've been a busy guy. Hopefully, I won't neglect to post on this blog any time soon. I hope you'll forgive me. In the meantime, if you haven't already gotten my novel, The Old Royal, perhaps you'll indulge me and pick up a copy. Also, let me leave you with a couple of videos. They're quite eye-opening...and fun! Thanks for stopping by!

Through the Wormhole: Is Time Travel Possible?


Chemists from the University of Nottingham explain the element Sodium and its reactions:

No comments:

Post a Comment